Tuesday, March 27, 2012

(Round 2) Day 21 - March 27, 2012 SURGERIES

Lots can happen in a few days, huh? :)

Last Friday I sent a photo of my Efudex treatment spreading into the surgery area and late Friday eve got an email back that he didn't have any concerns about Monday's surgery.  Did my last 250mile ride with my buddies Saturday for a while and got ready for Monday.

The initial meeting with the plastic surgeon went well and he even complimented me on the Efudex treatment, saying more people should do it to kill the pre-cancers.  He told me he's done his face several times and would continue to do it every few years.  My first thought was HORROR!  Again and again??  After thinking though, it makes sense.  Surely, my next time won't be anything like the first?  After all, I'll just be killing new ones and it should be a lot less severe.  Definitely planted the seed for doing it again in 5 years or so??  No telling, but at least the seed is planted.

Surgeries seemed to go fine (I guess)  Anesthesia was a lot tougher on me than I had hoped.  Instead of being the one making everyone laugh as I came back awake, I was the one throwing up...what a hoot THAT is for everyone :)

My friend Kelly was the best.  Hauling me around and making sure I didn't get off on the wrong foot with my recovery.  Constantly reminding me about the no bending, no lifting, etc.  Had no idea how much I "bend over!"  I really thought I'd be "ok" after a few hours and stocked up on things I needed to do, groceries, etc., but I did NOT stock up on the basics and really needed 7-Up, crackers and soup.   Got me through that first night for sure.

So now I figure some things out.    Feeling pretty beat up with both front and back surgeries, but I still think 1 rehab is the way to go.   Thought I'd be getting some work done, but there ain't no bopping goin' on.  Moving slowly....but I AM moving.  In between icing and naps of course.  Trying to go back to work tomorrow/Wednesday and see how I hold up.  Got my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment